Begin Your Individual Anti-Racism Journey
We invite you to take this journey with us and begin to unpack what it means to be an anti-racist. We know that the first step includes unlearning previous notions and educating ourselves as individuals committed to this journey. We encourage you to begin your individual anti-racism educational journey with us by diving deep into understanding racism from its origins to its impact on society today.
Take Harvard’s Implicit Association Test to assess where you are at in your anti-racist journey and begin taking courses around diversity, inclusion, and equity. This can include personal learning (books, movies, podcasts, etc.) or formal training spaces.
Undoing Institutionalized Racism Workshop: The People’s Institute Undoing Racism Workshop is an intensive workshop designed to educate, challenge and empower people to “undo” the racist structures that hinder effective social change. The training is based on the premise that racism has been systematically erected and that it can be “undone” if people understand where it comes from, how it functions and why it is perpetuated.
Videos to Watch
- Black Feminism & the Movement for Black Lives: Barbara Smith, Reina Gossett, Charlene Carruthers (50:48)
- Dr. Robin DiAngelo discusses ‘White Fragility’ (1:23:30)
- “How Studying Privilege Systems Can Strengthen Compassion” | Peggy McIntosh at TEDxTimberlaneSchools (18:26)
- The Danger of a Single Story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Organizations to Follow & Additional Resources
- Anguish and Action - Obama Foundation
- People’s Institute for Survival and Beyond
- Race Forward
- Talking About Race - National Museum of African American History & Culture
- Teaching Tolerance
- White Awake Resources
- An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States (For Young People)
- Antiracist Baby
- Between the World and Me
- Latinx - The New Force in American Politics and Culture
- Phillis Wheatley, Complete Writings
- Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools
- So You Want to Talk About Race
- Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America
- Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America
- The 1619 Book List
- The Autobiography of Malcolm X
- The Color of Law
- The Fire Next Time
- We Were Eight Years in Power
- White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?